The Pros and Cons of Using Self-Storage Unit During Travel
You’re making last-minute preparations before travelling, and this question pops in your head: will it make sense to rent a self-storage unit to keep all your belongings intact? Every traveller has an opinion on the matter and it depends on a person’s unique situation.
But before heeding anyone’s advice, consider the pros and cons of renting a self-storage unit so you can come up with the best decision based on your situation and needs and also make the most of your self storage space.
The Pros: Why Renting a Self-Storage Unit is a Must
- Self-storage facilities are useful in protecting your belongings from external factors like mice and the weather. They are also reliable in keeping your things from getting misplaced, assuring you that your belongings stay right where you left them. You can choose storage facilities that provide insurance during unfortunate circumstances.
- Storage facilities provide you with a key code and a key so you can access your things whenever you want. This gives you the ease of access that having your own basement/garage provides, even if you live in a small apartment without a space for storage. Plus you have the leeway to organize your belongings using shelves and tubs.
- You have the option to rent a self-storage unit for as long as you want. Some self-storage companies even offer a contract that allows you to rent a unit for extended periods. With this arrangement, you don’t have to worry about moving your belongings out at a moment’s notice, which usually happens when you store your stuff in someone’s house.
- Storage units are a great option when you’re relocating overseas or going somewhere for a limited time. They’re a great place to tuck your belongings away until you’re definite return.
The Cons: Why Renting Self-Storage Unit is a No-No
- The actual cost of moving your belongings into the unit isn’t factored into the rental price. Which means if you’ll be storing a lot of stuff, make sure to consider how much it will cost for the moving company to handle the moving. There are full-service storage companies like Centron Self Storage that can assist you in finding great self-storage unit deals at a reasonable cost.
- It can be unsettling to leave your belongings somewhere you can’t keep an eye on, especially if you’re travelling far away. You may have to choose a storage facility that’s equipped with surveillance cameras to put your mind at ease.
- In case you need something that you left behind, you’ll need to make a trip to the storage unit or ask someone to retrieve your belongings. This can cost you time, money, and the hassle of having to dig into boxes.
- Your things will be under cold and heat throughout the year (unless you choose a temperature-regulated unit, which can cost significantly more). This can be tricky for certain items that might contract and expand under specific temperature levels. If you’re storing away sensitive belongings, self-storage may not be the best choice.
Before renting a storage unit, weigh its advantages and disadvantages. If storing your belongings in a rented space provides more benefits and gives you greater peace of mind, go ahead and secure that self-storage unit.
2013 © YourAmazingPlaces.com
Back to Top ↑