A penny saved is a penny earned, they say, while traveling; however, a penny saved is an extra penny you can use for more exciting adventures! Campervan Australia holidays are, without a doubt, the most budget-friendly mode of travel as they offer you everything from accommodation and wheels to meals in a single package! But, if you put a little more thought and exercise a budget-conscious approach, you can cut costs even further and enjoy a fantastic escapade without cutting a hole in your pocket.
How to plan a fantastic campervan getaway on a small budget?
1. Take advantage of the ‘Off-season’
When you travel in the peak season, you have to pay premium prices for almost everything. Every tourist destination has an “off-season,” which means fewer tourists and lower costs, a total win for someone who is looking for budget-friendly vacations. However, such times are considered the shoulder season for a reason, so you might have to compromise on the weather or adjust your work and children’s school schedule. You should never forget that time is of the essence in a budget road trip; if you plan your trip at the perfect time, these off-season trips can save you a fortune.
2. Find the best campervan hire deals
Australia is a hub for some of the largest campervan companies in the world that offers an extensive range of campervans and motorhomes for all budgets and requirements. All you have to do is compare the prices and deals offered by multiple companies that provide Campervan Hire Australia services and select the one that best suits your needs. However, there are a few extra hacks that help you reduce the cost further:
- Subscribe to the newsletters of campervan rental companies so that you never miss out on exciting offers and discount deals.
- The early bird catches the worm. Book your campervan as early as possible because last-minute bookings can increase your spendings.
- An older vehicle by a trusted service provider can help you save money, although you may have to be extra careful while utilizing and maintaining your campervan.
3. Cater yourself with home-cooked meals
Campervan holidays are the only mode of travel that offers you the luxury of having a kitchen on wheels. The idea of grabbing a bite along the way and avoiding the hassle of cooking and doing the dishes may sound tempting, but it is neither budget-friendly nor healthy, especially in the times of COVID-19. Your motorhome comes fully equipped with a kitchen, sink, and mini-fridge, then why not utilize it to the fullest. With the right equipment, some cooking essentials, and a little bit of culinary expertise, you can bring down your food expenses to half and also minimize the chances of infection from restaurant food.
4. Don’t forget to pack your road trip essentials
When it comes to budget holidays, one should never underestimate the importance of sensible packing. Groceries, toiletries, first aid kits, and the new normal essentials such as masks, hand sanitizer, surface disinfectants, etc., there are many items that you’ll need on the road. If you miss out on any of these basic essentials, you may end up paying a premium cost on the road. Prepare a checklist in advance and start gathering your requirements a week before your departure date.
5. Don’t miss out on the freebies
The best part about a campervan holiday is that it offers you a chance to wake up to the most breathtaking views of Australia. Oceans, mountains, valleys… you can wake up to whatever you choose. Several unenclosed places in the country allow you to camp for free as long as you leave no trace behind. And, fortunately, with technological advancement, the days wandering aimlessly looking for a free campsite are long gone. All you have to do to find accessible facilities near you is download a camping app, and it will guide you throughout the journey. These apps also provide you other important information, such as nearby wi-fi hotspots, gas station locations, road warnings, etc., so that you can plan your halts accordingly.
6. Be Fuel-Smart
Fuel expenses are a prominent and inevitable part of road trips’ budget. By following some simple tricks use as little fuel as possible and minimize your fuel expenses-
- Drive slowly and accelerate smoothly to increase the mileage of your vehicle.
- Keep a GPS handy so that you don’t have to take unnecessary detours.
- Use informational apps that help you find the cheapest gas stations near you.
- Avoid filling your tank in significant cities, as they tend to have higher fuel rates. Try to fill up in urban areas before you enter a major city.