The sustainability of any building’s design lies in increasing efficiency while reducing the maintenance and operating cost. Whether it is the installation of flooring, ceiling or roofing, energy-efficient materials are engaged for the construction. Are you looking for a complete roof makeover or installing the new one? Well, whatever be the reason, metal roofing is the better option when energy-efficiency is considered.
The selection of the roofing material greatly depends upon the climatic condition of the place. It should protect the interior of the house from harsh weather conditions. Each material has its pros and cons. Before you prefer metal roofing, it is important to know whether it is beneficial for your housing solution or not.
Pros and Cons of Metal Roofing
When it comes to metal roofing, then you have a number of options to choose from, like aluminium, zinc, copper, tin and many more that are particularly tested in laboratories. Before selecting the metallic sheets, it is essential to know the building codes and requirements of the particular state. However, check out the benefits and limiting factors to choose the metal roofing solution wisely.
- Longevity: Expected life or longevity of the metal surface is more than the usual construction material like concrete and cement. Proper installation, quality of the metals and its maintenance determine the longevity of the roofing. Well maintained and properly installed roofs last up to 50-70 years. Metal is resistant to snow, fire or insects which protects the interior to a great extent.
- Eco-friendly option- Yes, if you are looking for eco-friendly roofing options, then metals are a good choice. 30% of the materials which are used for making metal roof are recyclable, while there are others which are made up 100% recycled ingredients.
- Durability: Apart from the long life, metal roofing is highly durable as compared to other roofing solution. It is the perfect solution to withstand extreme weather conditions. Some metals can withstand the wind @ 140 miles/hour and do not crack or corrode. However, it should be monitored regularly to repair worn out parts if any.
- Ease of installation: most of the metallic roofs are available in sizes made like a panel. Experienced contractors can easily install it ensuring maximum safety. However, the installation period can be shortened if the weather is not ideal.
- Fungal proofing: Asphalt is a popular choice for roofing, but it is prone to moss and mildew growth. To combat this, you can switch to metal roofing which is resistant to the growth of moss and mildew. This is the vital reason which enhances the durability and longevity of the material.
Although there are many good reasons for installing metal roofing, one should go through the limitations to make the installation better.
- Cost: When initial installation cost is considered, a metal roof is quite a costly option as compared to other premium quality materials. Cost, generally, pertains to the long-lasting factor and almost cost equally as it saves one from maintenance and repair costing. But, if you are willing to get a more durable option for roofing, then investing in metal roofs is a good choice.
- Contraction and expansion: Metals are prone to expansion and contractions. Hence, if proper fasteners are not used while installing, it might interrupt metal breathing. Moreover, improper spaces might loosen the panels that can be riskier.
- Traps rising moisture: Metal roofs trap rising moisture which turns into vapor. It can further turn into a liquid during the night when the temperature is low. This can damage the fasteners making it weak over time.
Well, there are lots of benefits associated with the installation of a metal roof. However, it is equally important to consider the drawbacks so that improvements can be made accordingly. To get safe and secure installation services, it is important to consult the right contractor. They would suggest you in all aspects whether it is the selection of the metal and many more. Talk to them and obtain the utmost benefits while eliminating the cons. Also, contact a professional roofing contractor who can ensure proper metal roofing installation.