5 Clever Ways to Keep Your Hallway Tidy
Your hallway is the first space you and your guests encounter when entering your home, making it essential to keep it tidy and inviting. However, hallways are also notorious for accumulating clutter, whether that means an overabundance of outdoor items such as shoes, coats, and bags, or the many utility items that are inconvenient to store elsewhere. Smart storage solutions can help you keep your hallway organised and welcoming, and give you a sense of calm and relaxation as soon as you walk through the door. Here, the storage experts at Clever Closet explore five clever ways to keep your hallway tidy using innovative storage solutions.
Why is it important to declutter your hallway?
A decluttered hallway ensures that the area remains functional and easy to navigate. Cluttered hallways can be obstructive, making it difficult for you and your guests to move around comfortably, especially when carrying items or wearing bulky outerwear. Clutter in the hallway can also pose a safety risk, as items like shoes, bags, and coats can become tripping hazards.
A tidy hallway promotes better organisation, making it easier to find items when you need them, helping you save time and reducing stress during busy mornings or when preparing to leave the house. Your clean hallway will also be visually appealing, contributing to the overall aesthetic of your home.
Photo by AJ Margulis Interiors
Studies have shown that cluttered spaces can increase stress and anxiety levels, butby maintaining a decluttered hallway, you can create a more peaceful and calming environment as soon as you and your guests enter your home.
1 – Multifunctional furniture for extra storage
Multifunctional furniture is an excellent way to maximise storage while minimising the space it takes up. These versatile pieces can serve multiple purposes, making them ideal for compact hallways.
- Storage benches with concealed storage space are perfect for seating and storing shoes or seasonal items.
- Coat racks with shelves not only hold coats but also provide a space for storing hats, scarves, or decorative items.
- Shoe cabinets with seating neatly store shoes while providing a convenient place to sit when putting them on or taking them off.
Photo by Robert Paige Cabinetry LLC
2 – Wall-mounted storage
Wall-mounted storage solutions are perfect for hallways, as they take advantage of vertical space without occupying valuable floor space. Some popular wall-mounted storage options include:
- Floating shelves which are used to display decorative items, store keys, or hold small baskets for miscellaneous items.
- Wall-mounted hooks and hangers that can be installed at various heights for hanging coats, bags, and hats.
- Magnetic strips for keys to avoid misplacing them and keep them near the door.
Photo by Decorum Designer Cabinetry & Flooring
3 – Opt for slim and tall furniture
Slim and tall furniture is ideal for hallways, as it takes up minimal floor space while providing ample storage.
- Narrow shoe cabinets can store shoes vertically while occupying less floor space.
- Tall coat racks can hold multiple coats, hats, and scarves without taking up much space.
- Ladder-style shelving units are narrow and tall, offering storage and display space without overwhelming the hallway.
4 – Hidden storage solutions
Hidden storage solutions are perfect for keeping your hallway clutter-free and organised. Some examples of hidden storage furniture include:
- Storage ottomans are stylish pieces that double as seating and storage for items like shoes or blankets.
- Wall-mounted cabinets with hidden compartments can safely store important items like keys, wallets, and mail among seasonal clothing and footwear.
- Under-stairs storage solutions – such as a Clever Closet under stairs unit – can help you to remove clutter from your hallway by turning an unused or underutilised space into an organised and versatile storage system.
5 – Create a dedicated storage zone
A dedicated storage zone can help keep your hallway organised and make it easier to find items when you need them. To create a storage zone in your hallway, consider the following options:
- Assign a cubby or locker to each family member for storing coats, shoes, and bags.
- Customise a built-in unit to meet your specific storage needs.
Photo by User
Prioritise your hallway
A tidy and welcoming hallway sets the tone for the rest of your home. By incorporating smart storage solutions, you can create an organised and inviting space, and integrating a Clever Closet unit can keep your hallway organised without compromising on style.
2013 © YourAmazingPlaces.com
Back to Top ↑