Blinds are arguably one of the most common types of window covers available on the market today. They provide the perfect balance between function and style as they come in a wide variety of sizes, colors, styles, textures, and materials. There are so many blinds to choose from that you’re sure to find one that meets your preferences.
However, the most important thing to do before purchasing blinds is to measure them. When it comes to blinds, there are many different types, styles, and prices available, and most blinds are not designed to fit all types of windows. This means that even if you do get a good deal on blinds, you’ll still need to measure your windows before you put them in.
Read on to learn why it’s incredibly important to measure your blinds before you purchase them.
1. Measuring Blinds Will Help You Achieve The Perfect Fit
This one is pretty obvious—if you don’t measure your blinds properly before purchasing, they may not fit the windows they’re supposed to cover. Missing the dimensions by even a small number can lead to an improper fit and this will ruin the overall aesthetic improvement that the blinds offer. If the blinds don’t fit the windows they’re supposed to cover, then they could become useless.
Making sure that you get the measurements down is essential before you shop for blinds. You can even call a professional who can make made to measure blinds and offers blinds installation services to ensure that the measurements are accurate. Asides from performing roller blind installation, for instance, they also know how to get the most accurate measurements for your blinds so you can get the perfect fit.
2. Help Save Time, Money, And Effort
Making sure that you get the exact measurements down before purchasing blinds can also help save time, money, and effort.
First, it’ll be a complete waste of time when you go shopping for blinds if you don’t know the exact measurements of your windows. You won’t have any idea as to what size should you get for your blinds.
Second, measuring your windows for blinds before purchasing will ensure that you won’t make a mistake in buying the wrong size, thus helping you save money.
Lastly, making sure that you have the accurate measurements will help make the installation process easier and quicker, especially if you’re going to install the blinds on your own. You don’t have to deal with all the hassle when trying to figure out how to make the blinds fit your own windows.
3. Hassle-Free Installation
As mentioned above, measuring for the correct size of your blinds before purchasing is important as it guarantees a hassle-free installation afterwards. It also prevents you from having to redo the installation again once you see that the blinds don’t fit the windows. Once you have the right measurements for the blinds before purchasing, the installation process will be a quick and easy one, and you can enjoy the benefits that they provide.
How To Measure Blinds
Now that you know the importance of measuring blinds before purchasing, it’s time for you to know how to get those measurements down. Keep in mind that no matter what type of blinds you’re going to purchase, the steps for measuring your windows will always be the same.
First of all, you’ll need to gather some equipment that you’re going to use for getting the measurements down. You’re going to need a tape measure (the metal ones are always preferred since they provide accurate measurements), a pen or pencil, and a piece of paper.
1. Measuring Inside Mount Blinds
If you’re looking to install inside mount blinds, the measurements have to be very accurate. There’s little room for error when measuring windows for inside mount blinds. Here’s how you can do it to get the exact measurements for inside mount blinds:
- Start by measuring the width of the window by measuring it in three different places: the top, middle, and bottom. This will give you three different measurements, but the one you’ll have to write down though is the smallest measurement of the three.
- Similar to the width, you’re going to measure the height of the window in three different places as well: left, center, and right. Write down the measurement that is the largest of the three as it is the one you’ll use when purchasing blinds.
- Lastly, measure the depth of the window. The depth measurement pertains to the depth of the window between the window glass and the end of its frame. Be sure to consider any obstructions that may affect the installation or the operation of the blinds.
2. Measuring Outside Mount Blinds
Measuring for outside mount blinds is almost the same as measuring for inside mount blinds. You really don’t have to get the most accurate measurements here since it’ll be up to you how much space the blinds will cover.
- When measuring for outside mount blinds, you are free to choose how wide your blinds will be. You can have the width stop at the edge of the windows or expand it so you can create an illusion of having wider windows.
- Similar to measuring the width for outside mount blinds, you can also choose the height of your blind based on how much space you want it to cover. If your window has a prominent sill, the height of your blind should end at the top of the sill. But if your window has no sill, you can set the height to where you want your blind to end, and that length will be entirely up to you.
Summing It All Up
You’ll certainly enjoy the benefits of having perfectly-fit window blinds at home. Window blinds are a big investment as well and you certainly don’t want to make a mistake when purchasing them. They can also be very expensive and if you don’t get the exact measurements right, you’ll end up losing hundreds of dollars or even more. So, make sure to take the proper measurements before you shop for blinds.